SPP Update: Week One


     Where we last left off, I had just completed my first two days of this SPP program. The remainder of week one went pretty well and as we are now in the middle of week two. We have built upon the knowledge we learned the first two days and then included some new stuff (namely anatomy lab). So, let me recap how it's been.

Classes and Studying

     A novelty of the second half of week one was having my first anatomy lab. I know it is silly, but something that I've always wondered was how I was going to handle anatomy lab in med school, mainly because it involves working with cadavers. I have always been perfectly fine when I worked with other preserved species, but I imagined working with humans would be a whole other arena. Surprisingly, the first day went rather well. I was a bit nervous and it felt a bit odd, but overall it was okay. I've been trying to put myself in the proper mind space for it and trying to get past the fact that what is right in front of me used to be an actual person. I keep reminding myself that I am learning from the body and I think this will help overcome my fear. 

     How it has been learning the material can be summarized as follows: too much knowledge, too little time. I feel like there's always so much to learn. I'm trying my hardest to keep with the pace and not let myself get too overwhelmed. If I just focus on every little thing that I have to do, I'll be pulling my hair out. Also, having several back-to-back courses can be draining, but I think I'm also getting used to it. That and I'm sure the copious amounts of caffeine are helping.

     I've also noticed that my attention to studying has been rather good. I don't feel like I was able to stay this focused in undergrad, so I am very amazed (haha). I think this really has to do with the fact that I am interested in the material we are learning. No matter the subject, they always try to incorporate a clinical relevance and I think that helps keep me interested and also allows me to see the bigger picture. 

     What have we covered? In biochemistry, carbohydrates, lipids, pH, and amino acids (We spent quite a bit of time on the first two). In physiology, general cell physiology, skeletal muscle, cardiac muscle, smooth muscle, and the cardiovascular system. In Histology, microscopy, cell biology, epithelium, connective tissue, and muscle. Finally, in anatomy we have covered spinal nerves, heart anatomy, heart embryology, the thoracic wall and pleura, and the mediastinum. Quite a bit huh?

     We have our first exam coming up on Monday, so I am waiting to see how that goes! I will just be tested on two subjects (biochem and histo). So, I am hoping that it won't be too crazy. Otherwise, I am doing well. I am trying to keep myself going and reminding myself that I need to have some me-time (I had a bit too much this weekend, but it's okay). 

Outfits


     Thursday's Outfit: Old Navy printed pixie pants, a chambray top, and my lace up ballet flats that I got from target.

     Friday's Outfit: Gingham peplum top, navy chinos, and coral flats. I also threw on a navy cardigan.


Tuesday's Outfit: A midi dress from Old Navy, my camel sandals, and a navy cardigan.


     Wednesday's Outfit: A basic striped J. Crew shirt, leggings, and navy Sperry's. The shirt was a bit longer in the back, so it worked with the leggings. Also, as you can probably tell, I've been dressing up, so I wanted a more laid back day.

     I hope you are having a great week! I will try to keep you posted about the upcoming weeks!

~Genesis<3

No comments