Makeup Kit Essentials


     If you've ever walked through the makeup section at any store, I'm sure you've noticed the plethora of products available. I'm also sure that if you don't know much about makeup, this experience can be rather overwhelming. Before the girl at the beauty counter convinces you that you need to spend a small fortune on getting yourself put together, I want to share some of my makeup essentials and hopefully enlighten you about what you should start out with in your own makeup bag.

    This post is inspired by my little cousin. Last December, she told me and my sister that she wanted to start wearing makeup and that she wanted her Christmas gift from us to be a makeup starter kit. It got us thinking about what a girl really needs in her kit, and we figured out the basic essentials.

The Essentials

1.) Foundation- Now, I'll say that foundation isn't essential all the time. My cousin Val and my best friend Megan have beautiful skin, so in these cases, I'd be reluctant to push foundation. I personally tend to wear foundation on a regular basis because I get quite a bit of redness on my skin and the foundation helps me create more of an even base for my makeup, but if you have great skin, you can get away with wearing a tinted moisturizer for day-to-day usage. Foundation is definitely great for special occasions when you are getting glammed up. So, that's why I think it is a good idea to have some in your kit.

2.) Concealer- If you're going the tinted moisturizer route, this will be its best buddy. Concealer is great to cover the areas that your foundation missed and will help prevent you from piling on the foundation. I remember a tip I learned from a makeup artist who did my makeup for one of my dances and she told me that foundation should be used to create a base layer for your makeup. You shouldn't expect it to cover absolutely everything. Just create your base and go in with concealer for reinforcement on the areas your foundation missed. 

3.) Eye Shadow- Having a nice little eye shadow palette will allow you to get creative with your makeup and try out different looks. I think every girl should have some neutrals to start out with, and you definitely don't have to spend a fortune on them. The Maybelline The Nudes palette is what we started out my cousin with and it is a great little palette that you can find at most drugstores for around $10. If you want something high-end but don't want to break the bank, I'd say that you should try the Natural Eye Palette by Too Faced. Of course, if you go higher end you'll have a myriad of palettes to choose from. If you can still get your hands on the Gwen Stefani Palette by Urban Decay (pictured above), I highly recommend it!

4.) Face Powder- I don't have this pictured above, but I do think it is something that you should have in your kit, especially if you have oily skin. This product would go on after applying your foundation and would help to set it so that your makeup lasts longer. I used the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder for years, and I know you can get that one at Target.

5.) Mascara- If I could only apply one product, it would probably be mascara. Mascara just helps you look more put together and even on my no makeup days, I'll put some on. There are hundreds of really great mascara options at the drug store ( The CoverGirl LashBlast is a cult favorite). I'm currently testing out the L'Oreal Voluminous Superstar Mascara, which comes with a pretty nifty lash primer.

6.) Bronzer- This will help to prevent your face from looking too flat from your foundation. You can also buy a matte version and experiment with contouring. If you are completely new to makeup, I'd say, hold off on tackling contouring until you've got everything else down.

7.) Blush- Blush is also essential to look more natural after applying foundation. Try to find a Natural Shade that way you can wear it with any look you want to create. 

8.) Eyeliner- My go-to look always involves some liquid liner, but if you're just starting out with makeup, I'd avoid the liquid liner until you get more practice, but what you should for sure have is a good eyeliner pencil. I'd say go with a classic black, but if you have lighter eyes or fairer skin, a brown shade will look less harsh on you. Physician's Formula Eyeliner Trios are a great place to start.

9.) Lipstick- Lipstick is one of my favorite products and where I get most adventurous. I'd say that everyone should have a neutral pink to start out, though. Both CoverGirl and Maybelline make some fantastic lipsticks, so I'd check them out.

10.) Brushes- There are many different brushes and brush companies out there, but when you are just starting out, I'd say you don't have to break the bank. The bare minimum brushes you should have in your kit are a Powder brush ( you can use it for powder, blush, and bronzer), a flat shader brush ( to apply eyeshadow to the lid), and a crease brush ( to blend out eyeshadow). Brushes can range greatly in price, but some really great inexpensive ones to try out are EcoTools brushes. You can usually find these at places like Target, Walmart, or Ulta and they are typically reasonably priced.

Non-Essential (but helpful!) Extras

1.) Eyebrow Pencil- Filling in your brows helps to create a more polished look, and will amp up your look, especially if your natural brows are pretty sparse. One of my personal favorites is the micro brow pencil by NYX.

2.) Primers- Using a primer will help your makeup last longer, and also will aid in making your eyeshadows pop and will help prevent them from creasing.

3.) A Fun Lip Color- Besides your natural lip color, it's always great to have another fun color to wear for special occasions or when you just want a pop of color. I always love a classic red lip, but a bright pink or fuschia lip always look beautiful too!


     Of course, there are hundreds of other beauty products you could have, but these are just the basics that I think will be great to start off with. Hopefully, this was helpful! I hope you have a great week and I'll talk to you soon!

~Genesis<3

No comments