Makeup Brush Guide

     If anyone saw my makeup brush collection, it would be safe to say that I have enough brushes to work backstage at fashion week. Now, I know I have way more brushes than any single person would need, but the reason I have so many is that I like to test out different brands to see what they have to offer. Through the years that I've been doing this, I've found some pretty great brushes and I thought I would share what I have found.


     When it comes to makeup brushes, there are tons of brands and types out there. Prices vary greatly depending on the company, but this doesn't mean that you have to spend a fortune to get yourself a good set. I think this is particularly true if you are just doing makeup on yourself and just need a standard set to get the job done. I've tried brushes on both ends of the pricing spectrum, and I can say that pricing doesn't always mean that they are better (This is obviously based on what I have personally tried). So, let's talk about what I've tried.

Brands

1.) Sigma


    From my experience, Sigma brushes fall into the category of "higher end" brushes. When I purchased these a few years ago, I remember paying between $80-100 for this set. It was my first set of "professional" brushes, so the price tag really wasn't a deterrent, especially when compared to the price tag on M.A.C. brushes. Sigma has definitely grown from the fledgling company that it was when I purchased this set, and a set similar to the one above will run you between $125-180. If you are looking for a really good brush set and don't mind to splurge, this one is pretty excellent. I've had mine for several years and it still looks great. I will say that the large fluffy powder brush sheds like crazy (even after I've washed it several times), but that's really my only complaint.

2.) Morphe


     Morphe would fall in the middle range, as you can't purchase them at the drugstore, but they aren't necessarily high-end. I purchased this set last year while at a beauty trade show and I'll have to say that I was pretty impressed with the brand. I bought this set along with some individual brushes and they've become some of my favorite brushes ( I use the bottom brush almost every day for foundation application). The brand's pricing isn't too terrible either. This set above is normally priced around $45 ( it's currently on sale for $22.99!), but I got a deal at the beauty show and I got it for $30. I thought this was a deal, as just one of the face brushes would cost you a minimum of $20 in the higher end market. They have plenty of sets on their site ranging between $40-$100+ depending on what you are looking for.

3.) BH Cosmetics


     BH Cosmetics would fall into the same category as Morphe, but I would say the pricing is way better. They are always having some sort of sale, and while their brushes are priced around $30, you can snag yourself a really good set for around $10-$15. I paid about $12 for this set, and I love it. I also bought the same set for my mom and sister as a Christmas gifts last year and they also love it. The brushes are really soft and sturdy for the price, which is something that is typically my concern. If you are just starting out, I think this is a great company to try, as their brushes are great and affordable.

4.) Sonia Kashuk


     Sonia Kashuk falls into its own category, as I think the brand itself is high-end, but it is also sold at Target. What I love about Sonia Kashuk brushes is that they are typically very pretty ( if you couldn't already tell by the picture). Her brushes have the beauty girl aesthetic down, and for the most part, the brush sets are pretty solid. I think her larger sets run around $40 but she also has sets for around $20 (which is what I believe I paid for the turquoise set in the picture). If you don't want to go through the fuss of ordering online, this is a good brand to try.

5.) Real Techniques

     
     This brand was created by YouTubers Sam and Nic Chapman from Pixiwoo. They are incredible makeup artists, so naturally, their brushes are also great. The brand is marketed more towards the drugstore realm, as you can find them at Ulta or Walmart, but that doesn't take away from the quality. A set of four Synthetic hair brushes will run you around $18, which isn't too bad. I am a huge fan of their face brushes, so I'd say they are worth a try if you are in the market for some.

6.) Coastal Scents


     This brand is comparable to BH cosmetics as it is an online brand. I haven't tried their brush sets, but the individual brushes I've tried are pretty great. The brushes range from $2.00-$5.00 each and are a good option if you are just looking to get a few brushes. Also, the handles are a solid black. Mine have a turquoise end because I painted them in order to prevent them from getting misplaced ( I live with two women and my sister has no hesitation in "borrowing" my stuff).

     This post is just a brief glimpse of what's actually available for makeup brushes, but I hope that I gave you a better idea of what to try. I have quite a few brushes, but I might be trying more in the future as I'm always curious about other brands. I hope you have a great week and I'll talk to you soon!


~Genesis<3

No comments