July Recap 2016



     I don't know how it was for you, but for me, the month of July was definitely the month of freedom. Apart from celebrating the Fourth of July holiday, July was the month that I was liberated from the chains of SPP and my was that amazing. I feel that this month felt a bit more laid back than many of the previous months. In true summer fashion, I feel that the month had a lazy feel to it, which is a lovely calm before the storm that is coming in August!

Highlights

     Fourth of July weekend is a bit of a tradition that I started with my Chicago squad last summer, so even though I was impossibly busy, I couldn't bring myself to break tradition. As I was in the midst of studying for finals, we kept our get together pretty low-key. We had drinks and dessert on Megan's rooftop, followed by watching the Navy Pier fireworks on Oak Street Beach. The desserts were delicious, the conversation delightful, and my heart was definitely full with friendship. I brought along my roommate Emily and our friend Derek for the festivities and it was a bittersweet moment since they'll be at a completely different campus next year. I was so blessed to have met them during the program and it was so difficult to say goodbye to them. Of course, we plan to keep in touch and visit one another, but knowing that we won't be able to have the same classmate dynamic is a bit heartbreaking. It was so cool to meet my first set of future doctor friends and I can't wait to make more during my M1 year, but Emily and Derek will always have a special place in my heart.

My SPP fam<3


Delicious fruit tart courtesy of Emily and Megan's picture worthy pie

One of my favorite views with two of my favorite people
     The following week, SPP concluded and the T.A.s threw us a party on our last day to celebrate! I didn't happen to snap any pics, but I did take a picture with my friend, Dante, so I'll include that below. Otherwise, the rest of the week I spent catching up on all the sleep that I had lost in the previous six weeks. We did happen to make a trip up to Michigan for a beach day, and that is where I snapped the lovely pic for one of my previous posts.

My favorite M2!

Look familiar?

     The following Saturday was incredibly busy for me. I met up with Meg and Chandler for 9 A.M. brunch, then I went over to Elida's house so we could go to the beach for her friend's birthday, and then I finished my night by meeting my family to celebrate my cousin Rob's birthday. I left my house at 7:45 A.M. that morning and I didn't return until 2:00 A.M. the next morning. It was well worth it, though. I was so glad that I got a chance to meet up with Meg and Chan since the three of us hadn't gotten together in quite some time. We ventured out to Logan Square to have brunch at this place that I've been dying to try, and let me tell you, it was probably one of the best brunches that I've ever had. Meg and I split a plate of chicken and waffles and a plate of biscuits and gravy. Both were amazing. I had never had chicken and waffles before, and I was very happy with what I tried. We will definitely be going back there! Afterward, we had a little photoshoot courtesy of my "blog husband", Megan, who always makes sure to help me do things for the blog. We obviously dragged Chandler into it, because what photoshoot would be complete without bestie pics?

Our Delicious Brunch at Longman & Eagle

Me getting my sass on

Super lucky to call them my best friends<3

I was super happy she let me have my good side:)
Later that night with the fam
     The Tuesday after, Elida and I took a little road trip to Indiana Dunes State Park. I had been to the park before, but it had been quite a while since I had last been and I don't think I had ever fully hiked the dunes. The scenery was pretty, but the hot, humid weather that we'd been having in the midwest made the hike slightly less enjoyable. Nonetheless, we completed our almost 6-mile hike. The last portion of the hike was along the lakeshore and although it was beautiful, it was super hot. Sadly, we didn't bring anything to swim in, so we couldn't take a dip. We did get our feet wet, so that helped us a little bit, but also provided for a sandy ride back home. As always, I love exploring places with Elida, so it was a great trip.

One of my favorite pics

The beautiful lakeshore

The dunes...glad we didn't pick that trail

Nothing but miles of empty beach

I would've given anything to dive in

Glad we were getting away from the bugs...but were apparently about to risk sunburn

Misnomer. Paradise wouldn't have any bugs :p

This part made me feel like I was in Jurassic Park

Navigating through the forest

     Last weekend, I just spent time at home. I did drive up to visit G for a beach day, but I didn't happen to take any pics. We went to the beach for a while and then went back to her place and ordered some yummy Chinese food. It had been a while since we had a chance for some one-on-one time, so that was really nice. 

     The remainder of July I will be spending getting myself ready for my move to the city. I have a couple of DIY projects and packing that I have to do but otherwise, I'll just be spending time with my family. I want to get as much time with them now that I am at home as I will miss them a lot when I'm in the city.
Looking forward

     Next month holds so many life changes for me and I can't wait to begin this new chapter in my life! I'm sure you guys are tired of reading it, but it is so incredible that everything that I have worked for is right around the corner. This is everything that I've been dreaming of and it has finally been made a reality, so you can imagine my enthusiasm is through the roof. By this time next month, I will have had my first couple weeks as an M1, and that is absolutely crazy! I can't wait to tell you all about it:)


     Thank you for taking the time to take a little glimpse into my life. I hope you guys had an incredible month and I will be talking to you soon!

~Genesis<3





   

No comments