Never Doubt Your Brilliance






    
























   





      As much of my medical school application process has come to a conclusion, I wanted to share a little story with you guys about something that happened to me on my journey.

     Last year, I was going through the pre-med process and part of what my school offered pre-med students was the opportunity to apply for a committee that helps you along with applying to medical school. As a member of the committee, you got assigned an advisor who you met with every month to go over materials for your application and gain guidance over the application process. This program wasn't new to me as I had gone through it the cycle before when I was considering applying for medical school my Junior year. Senior year I re-entered the committee and was all set to meet with my advisor starting Spring semester. 

     At this point, I personally felt that I had kicked fall semester's butt. I had spent the bulk of my summer studying for my MCAT retake in early September (which I happened to get a score I was happy to apply to schools with), I was working 15-20 hours a week, volunteering, and I managed to pull off a 4.0 for the semester. When spring semester started, I was feeling really optimistic and although I was a tad bummed I wouldn't have the same advisor ( the previous cycle I was paired with the head of the committee who is such a great person and one of the kindest men I've met) I was excited to start working towards my medical school application. That's where Dr. F comes in. 

Dr. F. was the advisor I was paired with for the semester. A Biology professor with curly gray hair, rather cold blue eyes, and a typically serious demeanor. Our first meeting was definitely memorable. I arrived at her office a few minutes early (for anyone that knows me I have a habit of being early for everything) and was prompted to wait outside her door while she prepared for our meeting. When I finally entered, it was a typical first meeting. We shook hands, I sat down, she asked me to talk a bit about myself ( I don't like this question as I never know what they really want to know), and then we reviewed my file. We discussed my numbers and extracurriculars for a bit and then she gave her opinion, she thought I was average. I remember her saying, " I am a very blunt person and I won't sugar coat any of this" as she proceeded to tell me that I had a chance but to prepare myself because a lot of students don't get in. She also was really pushing me to pursue a D.O. Degree instead of M.D. because they typically require a lower MCAT. I had applied for a research position and she basically told me I had a slim to none chance of getting it and when I told her I worked at a clothing store, her disapproval was very apparent (unnecessarily so in my opinion). 
     At that point, we went over my gap year plans and she told me my best bet was to pursue a certification program to get a job that would allow me to gain more patient experience. I just remember nodding and asking for her advice while trying to piece together what I could do now that my previous ideas were burning in a trash bin somewhere. We concluded our meeting, agreed upon the time for our next session, and I headed on my way. I remember walking home desperate to arrive as the heaviness in my chest was very apparent. The short walk to my apartment felt eternal and when I finally shut the door behind me and reached for my phone to call my mom, I knew the tears would shortly follow. Through tears, I told my mom how everything had gone, what the advisor had said, and how I didn't know what I was going to do. 
    I was scared. It felt like Dr. F. had taken a knife to the canvas where I had drawn out my path and all I was left staring at were the pieces blowing around unable to be mended. For a girl that always likes to have a plan, this was a nightmare and even worse because it concerned what I had just spent the past three and a half years trying to build. I remember my mom coaching me through, reminding me that everything would be fine and to not be afraid. She is amazing at reminding me to refocus and she was exactly what I needed at that moment. I took a deep breath, tried to set a starting point for my next move and said,"It'll be okay. I know I haven't come this far to stop now." 

     The remainder of the semester I worked my butt off, I planned my gap year as best as I could, and the following meetings with Dr. F. went alright. She even at one point stated that she was "impressed" with my progress. The semester ended ( I finished with a 3.8), graduation came ( graduated cum laude) followed by application season with the fear and insecurity instilled in me by Dr. F. a demon present along the way. 

     Now, if you've read any of my other posts, you know everything went well. I was accepted to two really great med schools. One of which didn't even look at my secondary before interviewing me ( which means they didn't even need any of Dr. F's suggestions to think I was a great candidate) and the other one was one of my top choices here in Chicago.  

    Looking back on it, it was silly for me to even be afraid of the process, but as a pre-med it's easy to fall into the trap because people like Dr. F. will try to tell you that you might fail. But, I am here to tell you that people like Dr. F. aren't always right. I honestly believe that when something is meant for you, nothing can keep it from happening. All I had to do was work very hard and persist to get there. It's crazy to think that I could've avoided many months of worrying if I had only focused on my journey instead of keeping Dr. F's words at the back of my mind, but regardless I made it through.

     I'm not going to say getting into medical school is easy because it definitely isn't. But, I will assure you that it isn't impossible. I wanted to share my experience with Dr. F. so that you won't doubt your abilities because someone else thinks less of you. You are a unique person and medical schools are looking at you as a whole. So, if your are applying this cycle, don't fret. Stay on your course and don't let anyone steer you astray because you are more brilliant than you think. Good luck!

~Genesis<3

 

No comments