What Do I Want To Specialize In?



     Ever since starting this blog, I've had this post in the back of my mind and as I start my medical school journey next week, I felt it was the perfect time to write it.  Something that was a common theme during SPP when meeting future and current medical students was inquiring about their specialty of interest. At this point, it's not always a hundred percent certain that we'll actually choose to go into that specialty at the end of our four years, but typically we have a specialty in mind when going into medical school. So, before I am influenced by what I will see in school, I want to write about what specialty I have in mind before it all begins, so that I can come back and compare it with my choice at the end of my fourth year.

What Would I Choose?

     For as long as I can remember wanting to be a doctor, I always had one specialty on my mind and that was Pediatrics. I've always had quite a bit of admiration for pediatricians because I feel that they play a very influential role in how we first experience healthcare and to this day, I can still remember the different pediatricians that I had over the years. As a pediatrician, you also have a different type of relationship with your patients as you get to see them grow up. I bet it's really incredible to be able to start seeing a patient when they are just a little baby and then potentially see them until they become adults. Also, there is something quite unique in the pediatric environment. Of course, it holds all the common elements that a regular healthcare place would have, but the nature of the patients make for a whole different experience. When I think of this, an Arizona Robbins from Grey's Anatomy quote comes to mind: "These are the tiny humans. These are children. They believe in magic. They play pretend. There is fairy dust in their IV bags. They hope and they cross their fingers and they make wishes. And that's what makes them more resilient than adults. They recover fast, survive worse, they believe. In Peds., we have miracles and magic. In Peds., anything is possible...".
I absolutely love this quote and as someone that has spent quite a bit of time volunteering in a pediatric hospital, I can tell you that Peds. has a certain magic to it and that magic attracts me. 

What Would Hold Me Back?

     Up until this point, it is pretty safe to say that my mind is set on Peds., but I know there might be things that could dissuade my choice. I really do love kids, so I don't know if seeing really sick kids might be too much for me. I didn't have a problem while volunteering with them but of course, being their doctor is a different situation. Something that I frequently hear about Peds. is that the parents are worse than the kids. The major factor that could change my mind would be having to argue with parents all the time, but I still feel like I should be fine. I know that if I really do love it, nothing will change my mind, so that's also something to keep in mind as I am going through the next four years.

     Thankfully, I have plenty of time to make my final decision and also a ton of rotations to experience. Who knows, I might find that I love something way more than I love Peds. and that is just as awesome. I can't wait to see what I decide, though.

Have a fabulous week and I will be talking to you soon! 

~ Genesis<3



No comments