How Working Retail Has Helped Me As a Premed





     As someone who has worked retail for the past couple years, I have noticed certain things that I thought would help me in my future role as a doctor. As it has helped me to notice these things, I thought it would be a good idea for me to point them out and hopefully, if you are in my shoes, you'll see how it's not just a job, but training for your future (haha).

What You Gain


You Learn to Be a People Person

     I'm sure it goes without saying that when you work retail, you interact with a ton of people. If you are a shy person, you'll have to get over that really quick in order to do your job (trust me I've been there). Over the years, as I've worked at different stores, I've seen my comfort level evolve from hesitant to approach a customer to bubbly boutique associate. Of course, whether or not I'm the latter really depends on the day. But, in general, I'd say I'm pretty confident being around people. In addition, I've also noticed how it has changed my interactions. When you're that interactive person, typically the customer will interact back and it'll be an overall good encounter. I believe as a doctor, this will be true as well. When my physician is warm and inviting my experience at their office is enjoyable. I'd rather have that than to just have someone who rolls through what they have to do like a robot.

You Learn To Step Out of Your Comfort Zone

     Depending on where you work, You might be placed in situations that you never thought you would ever have to be in. For me, this is incredibly true as my current job has me dealing with underwear and as a bra-fitter, I stand in front of half-naked women every day. At first, it felt a bit odd for someone to show me their bra or ask me to check the back of their underwear to see what style they had previously purchased. But with time, it all just became a part of my job. Now, seeing half-naked women is just a norm and I'm sure going into medicine won't be drastically different. In medicine, you will have to do many "awkward" things (I just had my friend Alissa tell me about giving her first prostate exam the other day...joy.), so get used to stepping out of your comfort zone. Disclaimer:Do this within reason, of course. I don't want you doing what the creepy customer says just because you want to step out of your comfort zone (haha).

You Learn to Keep Your Calm

     One of the major things you'll learn about working retail is that people can be really rude. I can't tell you how many times I've had a customer give me serious attitude over something that wasn't in my control and really couldn't do much about. In these situations, the only thing I could do was to smile and keep being pleasant because if I respond negatively to their anger that would make the situation worse. Also, it's my job to stay calm. As a physician, I'm sure I'll still have situations like this. Of course, I won't have to deal with people being angry about not being able to use an expired coupon, but about their health or how I do my job. I think I've mastered the exceptionally calm and pleasant on the outside, but seriously seething on the inside thing. So, I'm good to go.

You Train Your Empathy

     As shopping can be people's way of letting go, you can encounter many different situations. One of the most prominent is someone out shopping after the death of a loved one. Just the other day, I was helping a woman find a bra when she casually dropped that she had just lost her husband in our conversation. Now, I didn't jump to hug her or anything, but I did offer my condolences and made sure she felt comfortable. Working in retail you'll be presented with every situation in the book and learning to respond in a positive manner is great practice for when you work with patients dealing with difficult things. I am no way an expert in this area, but in general, I've learned that what people desire most is to be heard and know they are not alone. Also, that a warm smile goes a very long way.

You Raise Your Own Awareness 

     I would say that by far the greatest thing that I have gained from retail is learning my role in interactions. Whenever I am out and about, I pay attention to how others treat me and how I treat others. I take my time to be polite and if I see that the salesperson is struggling, I try to be reassuring. I also try to remember that everyone is a person and deserves to be treated as such. I can't tell you how annoying it is when someone walks into the store on their phone and just hands a receipt and bag to you while they quietly mouth "Return". I know there are unique situations where this is necessary, but if possible, avoid being on the phone. Being present allows you to notice so many things, so I urge you to try it.

I know this post was a little different, but I'm sure you've already noticed that I like to get you thinking about different things. I hope you have a really great weekend and thank you for taking the time to read this post. Talk to you soon!

~Genesis<3

No comments